A joint class with Professors Karrie Koesel and Sharon Yoon. Professor Hui will analyze Beijing's total crackdown on Hong Kong as both a Political Scientist and an activist.
Read and listen to before class:
▪ Lindsay Maizland and Eleanor Albert, “Hong Kong’s Freedoms: What China Promised and How It’s Cracking Down,” CFR Explainer, 2/17/2021 (https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/hong-kong-freedoms-democracy-protests-china-crackdown )
▪ Victoria Tin-bor Hui, “Crackdown: Hong Kong Faces Tiananmen 2.0,” Journal of Democracy, 31, 5, Oct. 2020, pp. 122-37.
▪ Michael C Davis, “Beijing’s Crackdown on Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Hong Kong,” Asia Policy, volume 16, number 2 (april 2021), 57–79 (https://www.nbr.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/publications/ap16-2_davis_apr2021.pdf )
▪ Hana Meihan Davis, “In Hong Kong, Calls for Democracy are written on the walls, literally,” Washington Post, 8/8/2019 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/opinions/global-opinions/hong-kong-lennon-walls/) [multimedia]
▪ Ann Scott Tyson, “‘He has not bowed’: Jimmy Lai and Hong Kong’s future,” Christian Science Monitor, 4/19/2021 (https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2021/0419/He-has-not-bowed-Jimmy-Lai-and-Hong-Kong-s-future )
▪ 001 - Hong Kong: Ground Zero with Victoria Tin-bor Hui (https://open.spotify.com/episode/01kgn9dneR1kTuuTixvxce?si=lHOaC7OkS5-new4UIGsbFQ&nd=1)
▪ Oscars nominated documentary "Do Not Split" (https://fieldofvision.org/do-not-split) (35”)
Note to Chinese students: This class is open to the public. The class will be recorded. If you want to protect your identity, you could turn off your video and change the display name to show only first name or surname or pseudonym. Please discuss with your respective professor.